Thursday, January 21, 2010

Newbridge Landslide


     Here in Western North Carolina, we are fortunate to have beautiful mountains in every direction, but protecting this resource is a very serious issue that residents deal with every day. We have seen first hand the importance of careful developement and emergency planning. In the last year we have seen several land slides that have obstructed traffic, destroyed homes, and in one case entirely closed a major highway for months.
     For this assignment we were asked to prepare a handout for a public meeting to inform the public of the potential impact of landslides. The handout was designed to be printed on 8.5 x 11 paper and prepared using ArcMap. The map is intended to be easy to use in either color, which I posted, or in black and white. Data was obtained for free from the Buncombe County GIS Department. An accompanying report was also prepared using ArcMap to show the potential financial impact within the zone of potential impact.
     To the left you will find links to both the handout and the companion report. Please feel free to offer comments in the link directly below this posting. I look forward to your comments.
  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright since I found your links, I guess I will be the first to comment on anyone's blog.

    I like the colors and layout, very visually appealing. The main map looks very elegant and well done.

    The inset of Buncombe county is a bit small and hard to see. The labels are overpowered by the city boundaries.

    The Sample property could use some sort of reference. Either a solid fill in the main map showing which one it is, or some other parcels around it to show which parcel it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Steven. Your maps visual appeal is nice. I like the border and background color choices. I do not have Arc on my home computer so I’m unable to open much less post my map on my blog. I’m going to campus or my work place Saturday to try to post my map on my blog. I'll add more review and comments to your blog sometime on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete